You know that pain? Yeah right there. You stand up from a chair and grab your lower back because it hurts. Lower back pain can put you down for a while. It gets in the way of being able to live life!
The lower back is a target area for pain. Many people will experience pain in their lower back at some point in their lives. According to WebMD the lower back is subject to a lot of stress and strain. The weight of the upper body puts loads on the lower back.
You may have thought before that the cause of lower back pain is old age, but that is not true. It's common to start feeling back pain at the age of 30.
Can you believe that?! 30. There are so many causes of lower back pain now that sometimes it is hard to pin point exactly where your lower back pain is coming from. Causes of lower back pain can also vary between men and women.
Because men’s and women’s bodies develop differently in size, shape, muscles etc., and some men and women are active in different activities, the lower back pain can be caused differently for both genders. Did you know that back pain is more common in women?
- This is a big one. OK, all you soon to be mamas. If you haven’t experienced it already, just wait – it’s coming for ya. (Hopefully NOT) Pregnancy can cause a great deal of lower back pain. Additional weight can be hard for your back to support because you’re not used to carrying that weight.
- The increase of hormones in your body when you are producing a baby allows the ligaments in the pelvic area to soften and the joints to become looser. This is done to prepare the body for birth. The loosening of ligaments can affect the support on the back.
Other common causes of lower back pain in women are...
- Kids are amazing. They are fun, cute, and lovable. But sometimes they can put some stress on your lower back! Moms, how many times have you bent down to pick up your child and lifted with your back? When only the lower back muscles are working it can cause injury and lower back pain.
- Bending over seems to be a constant in a mother’s day. Whether you’re bending over the dirty dishes to get them clean, bending over to pick up the toys in the living room, or again, bending over to pick up your child, this can all put stress on the lower back.
- Overuse of back muscles can happen in any of the mentioned causes above. Anywhere from picking up your kid on the floor to working out at the gym, overuse can cause strain in the muscles.
Sitting or standing for long periods of time can also put pressure on the discs in the lower spine and cause some inflammation and pain.
So, it's kind of crazy, but being a mom can put a lot of stress and pressure on your spine and cause lower back pain. These causes of lower back pain in women are fairly common.
There are other common causes of lower back pain in women and men.
- Hunched shoulders ruin the natural s-curve in your spine. When that natural s-curve is tweeked at the top of the spine it will put more pressure on the lower back. With all the pressure on the lower back it causes lower back pain in women and men.
- Most people who are under any amount of stress have a hard time managing it. They sleep poorly, have a poor diet and get little to no exercise. Stress will tighten the muscles and can result in back pain
Degenerative or herniated discs
- This condition where the discs either lose cushioning or they slip through a crack of the spine, these can cause a lot of pain. It is a common cause of lower back pain that will lead to pain down the leg.
Now that you know the causes of lower back pain in women, there will soon be stretches and exercises for how to relieve the pain at home! The Plexus Wheel will give you some stretches and exercises at home to relieve that pain.