According to the Arthritis Foundation, garlic and onion are great for joint pain relief because of their anti-inflammatory properties. The fresher the better. It is also great for your joints to add whole grain foods into your diet to reduce inflammation. That’s why this recipe is great for your joints! With whole grain pasta and fresh garlic and onion you can have enjoyable, tasty joint pain relief.
8oz mini (or regular) whole wheat pasta shells
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ onion diced
1 Tablespoon flour (or less, the cheese will help thicken)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk (whatever kind suits your fancy) Note: If your sauce is too thick, add more.
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup grated sharp cheddar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 cup frozen petite peas
Other add-in options:
- Cook pasta according to instructions in medium or large pot and set aside.
- In the same pot put in oil, butter, minced garlic, and diced onion. Add salt and pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Turn to medium heat. Cook until onions brown. Turn to low heat. Add flour. Stir.
- Turn stove to high heat. Pour in chicken broth and milk. Stir until mixture starts to thicken. Add grated cheeses. Turn to medium low heat.
- Add cooked pasta and frozen peas. (This is when you can add in toppings of your choice).
- You can eat it out of the pot, or, if you’re like my husband and like baked mac & cheese. Place the pasta in a baking dish, sprinkle more grated cheese on top, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. I like to broil it after it bakes until the top cheese browns.
- Enjoy joint pain relief!
Arthritis Foundation. (2020). Best Spices for Arthritis. Retrieved from https://www.arthritis.org/health-wellness/healthy-living/nutrition/healthy-eating/best-spices-for-arthritis
Everyday Health. (2017, November 14). Arthritis Remedies: 10 foods that help and hurt. Retrieved from https://www.everydayhealth.com/arthritis/arthritis-remedies-10-foods-help-hurt/#:~:text=Why%20it's%20a%20good%20anti%2Darthritis%20food%3A%20Adding%20more%20onions,like%20aspirin%20and%20ibuprofen%20do.
North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center. (2018, October 15). 6 Foods that can help reduce joint pain. Retrieved from https://northmountain.net/6-foods-that-can-help-reduce-joint-pain/#:~:text=Whole%20grains%20can%20reduce%20inflammation,%2C%20quinoa%2C%20and%20other%20foods.