Walnut Rye Bread
By Gabby Meek //
Fresh homemade bread = soul food. Ever been intimidated by the thought of baking bread from scratch? Well this no-knead recipe is SUPER easy and can be made in a single evening in time for dinner, and it will make your house smell SO amazing. Give it a go! For this recipe you will also need a large dutch oven or heavy ceramic pot with a lid. Vegan friendly.
- 1/4 Cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 Cup rye flour
- 1 1/3 Cup bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (or use room temperature dark beer for added flavor)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 packet fast-acting yeast
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts and seeds of your choice. We added sunflower seeds and hemp hearts.
- Olive oil to coat your bowl.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, add the warm water (or beer) and mix for about a minute until a ball of dough has formed.
- Lift the dough out of the bowl and lightly coat the inside of the bowl with olive oil. Place the dough back in the bowl, and cover with a damp rag/paper towels to keep moisture while it rises. Let rise for 45min - 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and place onto lightly flour-dusted counter surface. Gently roll out the dough into a thick square. Sprinkle on half of the walnut/nut mixture and lightly press the nuts into the dough. Then fold the corners of the dough into the center, forming a ball again. Flip the dough over so the seems are on the bottom, gently roll it out again and repeat the process for the remaining nut/seed medley.
- Once the dough is back in a ball form, cover and let sit for about one more hour before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 450F. And place the dutch oven or pot in the over to warm up.
- When the oven is warmed, use a sharp knife to cut a "X" or other patter into your bread for decoration.
- Take the pot out of the oven and very carefully lift and drop the bread into the pot.
- Place the lid on and put it back into the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the lid from the pot and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until the crust is crispy.
- Let cool before slicing.
The Plexus Yoga Wheel Team xo.